Horticulture AssistantI'm Interested
|Volunteer Position Name / Role:||Horticulture Assistant|
|Date Posted:||Wednesday, September 23, 2020|
|Organization Name:||Services and Housing In the Province (SHIP) - Peace Ranch Program|
905 584-9156 Ext. 30
|Why you might want to consider taking this opportunity:||
Peace Ranch Green Spaces program provides meaningful activities for seriously mentally ill service recipients to develop inter-personal, social, recreational and vocational skills. We encourage participants to choose various activities such as horticulture, farm animal care and/or creative arts during program hours. Green Spaces staff develop, plan, facilitate and evaluate activities. Typically, volunteers assist staff with setting up, assisting participants and clean-up of activities. We are a unique rural supportive housing and social recreation program located on 25 acres in Caledon.
Due to Covid19 our day program activities have been suspended but our residents are on site. Volunteer activities have been limited to property maintenance activities to keep social distance. A pre-screener is needed to be completed and masks are to be worn.
|Type of Organization:||Adult Service|
|More Info Link:||http://www.shipshey.ca|
|Volunteer type position is suitable for:||
|Duties / Roles / Activities:||
The volunteer will assist with the maintenance of plants in the solariums during the winter months and operation of the glass 30x60 greenhouse in the spring/summer/autumn.
Your horticulture skills will be much appreciated when assisting with the planting, maintenance and harvest of the flower beds and our raised bed vegetable teaching garden. The following skills or knowledge would be useful:
- Watering, deadheading, taking cuttings, seeding trays, insect identification and organic control methods, diseases, companion planting, fertilizing, tips and tricks to making things grow!
- Greenhouse operations – heating, lighting, humidity, venting
|Dates & Times:||
|Location of Volunteer Activity:||
|Can be used toward '40 Hours' for Highschool Graduation (OSSD):||Yes|
|Does this opportunity relate to COVID-19:||Yes|
|Commitment Length / Duration:||Moderate Term (3 months to 1 year)|
|Transportation:||Own Transportation Required|
|Expires:||Wednesday, June 23, 2021|
|Areas of Interest:||
|Skills / Experience:||
• Prior knowledge or experience in greenhouse operation, horticulture techniques, horticulture therapy and/or farming practices are an asset.
• Have an understanding of and are comfortable working with the client population or willingness to learn.
• Ability to follow directions and ask questions when unsure
• Good humour is always a bonus!
• Comfortable using Charity Republic Software to log attendance
• Willingness to obtain a Police Reference Check.